Benchmarks and other nonsense

Dave Haynie daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu May 9 06:35:29 AEST 1991

In article <TZENG.91May7101827 at sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov> tzeng at sunland.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes:
>Hi!

>If someone could also give me a quick rundown on the max data rate the
>Zorro bus can support it would be a big help.  We write ground systems
>for NASA so being able to gobble (and display) data at a fast rate is
>a real plus.  At the moment the max downlink rate is 900Kbits...which
>means that we need roughly double that.

The Zorro II bus runs at roughly 3.5 Megabytes/second.  The Zorro III bus
interface to the A3000 peaks at about 20 Megabytes/second.  So even using
some kind of programmed I/O device on the Zorro III bus, you can get around
10 Megabytes/second throughput, which is about 45 times more bandwidth than
you apparently need.  Most good I/O devices do some local buffering to keep
down the interrupt overhead.

>Nigel Tzeng - STX - SMEX Project

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.