MAC II ROM Upgrade

Robert Breckinridge Beatie breck at aimt.UUCP
Sat Apr 30 01:19:54 AEST 1988

In article <1558 at pt.cs.cmu.edu>, ralphw at IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralph Hyre) writes:
> In article <8972 at apple.Apple.Com> phil at apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:
> >Yes, I've have seen the National Semi boards working. I use one myself.
> >I have seen 5 boards in one system (88 megabytes of memory) running.
>
> Neat!  So, has anyone tried porting the BSD ramdisk driver to A/UX?
> That's one way to sort of get more free space elsewhere, since you could put
> /tmp and multiple swap areas on multiple boards. ...

Swap to ram?  I like the idea of /tmp (and /usr/tmp for that matter) on
a ram disk.  And then the system might benefit from having the pipe device
be a ram disk.  But swap space?  You're decreasing your available memory,
which causes more swapping.  It seems that just keeping that memory available
to programs would eliminate swapping almost entirely.

Besides, is ram really cheaper per megabyte than disk?  It seems really
unlikely now that chip prices are going back up.
--
Breck Beatie
{uunet,ames!coherent}!aimt!breck