MAC II ROM Upgrade

Ralph Hyre ralphw at IUS3.IUS.CS.CMU.EDU
Fri Apr 29 02:39:45 AEST 1988

In article <8972 at apple.Apple.Com> phil at apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>In article <1227 at uokmax.UUCP> rob at uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) writes:
>>.... National Semiconductor is
>>supposedly shipping their boards for use with A/UX, so I assumed it would
>>work (misrepresentation?) Anybody know if this is true?
>
>Yes, I've have seen the National Semi boards working. I use one myself.
>I have seen 5 boards in one system (88 megabytes of memory) running.
Neat!  So, has anyone tried porting the BSD ramdisk driver to A/UX?
That's one way to sort of get more free space elsewhere, since you could put
/tmp and multiple swap areas on multiple boards. (maybe 1 swap/board, since
you might be able to fool the swap strategy routines into conserving nubus
bandwith like they would disk interface bandwidth in deciding which disk to
talk to.) At least A/UX isn't crippled like SunOS in terms of addressable
memory (I hear from 3rd party memory vendors that you can physically address
64M in a Sun-3/160, but only 24M is supported by the OS.  Quite a shame.)
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw at ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW at W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA