How do you change the A/UX's login message?

Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan jackie at Apple.COM
Thu Apr 7 07:01:32 AEST 1988

In article <2404 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, buzz at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
> I have changed /etc/gettydefs, so that the login message would not be "Apple
> Computers  A/UX".  It works fine when you use the console or a modem to dial in
> to the system, but when you use telnet, you still get the Apple message.  I
> presume that there is another gettydefs file for telnet, but I can't find it.
> I tried asking around, but there aren't any Sys V people around here.

	Changing the telnet login prompt is not straight forward as it is
	actually part of the "in.telnetd" daemon code; it is hard-coded.

	If you're familiar with adb, the address of the login prompt string
	is 0x400e3c. A word of caution - Make sure you replace the login
	prompt string with a string of the same length (same number of
	characters). Otherwise, strange things might happen.

	Hope this helps.