Time Zone trouble...

Vicki Brown vicki at Apple.COM
Sat Apr 9 06:19:18 AEST 1988

In article <18918 at think.UUCP> whitney at think.UUCP (David Whitney) writes:
>A seperate problem I have is this: now that we are running on Daylight Savings,
>A/ux reports the time as one hour later than what the Mac says the time is.
>In order for me to have A/ux tell me accurately that it is 10 am, I must
>set the mac to 9 am. Why is this?

Why this is, is that the Mac OS has no notion of Daylight savings time, while
A/UX does.  So, from now through October, A/UX will add another hour to your
time (as shown in the control panel).  However, there is a way to avoid this
muddle.

When you start to boot A/UX, stop sash before the launch.  Change the GMT
bias (in the General dialogue box of the Parameters menu) to be one hour
less (i.e. -240 for East coast, -420 for Pacific coast).  This says that the
Macintosh time is now one hour closer to GMT (true at this time of year).
A/UX will not think you have moved closer to GMT, but will add the extra hour
because it is time for Daylight Savings.  You can check the date in sash before
booting.

Remember to change the GMT bias back again in October.
Got it?

  - vicki
--
Vicki Brown
A/UX Engineering		vicki at apple.com

(all opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer)