Interprocess communications

Jim Kateley kateley at Apple.COM
Fri Apr 1 02:56:59 AEST 1988

In article <1387 at randvax.UUCP> frel at rand-unix.UUCP (Dave Frelinger) writes:

>Hello,
>    I have a simple question, what forms of interprocess communications
>does A/UX support?  Does it use System V, B 4.X, or a both flavors of IP
>communications?

On page 15 of the A/UX System Overview manual, it states:
"Another important function of the kernel is interprocess
commnuication (IPC).  A/UX fully supports the System V Release 2
IPC mechanisms."
"Signals are another form of UNIX interprocess communication."
"A/UX supports both System V and BSD signals"

Additionally, in the A/UX Release notes, Version 1.0, on page 1-2:
"A/UX supports two different versions of signals:  the standard V.2 and the
4.2 reliable signals.  To use 4.2 signals in  a program, issue a call to the
set42sig routine before issuing any calls to the signal function."
"The signal-handler setting is not inherited across an exec call, although
job control and process grjoups are available to shell programs."

--
Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley at apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1