X-Windows price for A/UX

John Gilmore gnu at hoptoad.uucp
Fri Apr 22 14:36:25 AEST 1988

arnold at emory.uucp (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) writes:
> What the heck does this mean though? I would read it as "X-Windows will be
> available as a separate product you pay additional money to get".

jackie at Apple.COM (Hernan'Jackie' Macapanpan) wrote:
> I not sure what it means. I had to correct myself because I'm not sure how
> X-Windows for A/UX will be available. In other words, it hasn't been decided
> yet.

I think it's funny how the "public domain" X window system usually ends
up costing big bucks from the vendors who support it, while the
"proprietary" NeWS system costs $100 for Suns, $225 for Macs, etc.  HP
charges $2100 for X windows!  (You also have to buy "Arpa networking
services" for $7500.)  At least A/UX comes with free Berkeley
networking, though you have to configure it in (it's there taking up
disk space, but as we discovered, our A/UX application programs can't
use it until we teach all our customers how to reconfigure their
kernels).

Let's hope that the next A/UX release includes both X windows for free
(since when was a Unix release free! :-) and Berkeley networking -- both
ready to turn on and use.