X-Windows price for A/UX

Guido van Rossum guido at cwi.nl
Fri Apr 22 21:30:03 AEST 1988

In article <4466 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>I think it's funny how the "public domain" X window system usually ends
>up costing big bucks from the vendors who support it, while the
>"proprietary" NeWS system costs $100 for Suns, $225 for Macs, etc.

I would like to know what's included in "etc".  X11 for my VaxStation2000
running Ultrix cost only the price of the MIT X tape; is NeWS available
for my machine?  Can I then run NeWS clients on a Harris "tahoe"
processor (where I am running most X clients)?  The big bucks you are
mentioning probably refer to "support".  X without support is as cheap
as NeWS.  How good is NeWS supported for non-Sun machines?
--
Guido van Rossum, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI), Amsterdam
guido at piring.cwi.nl or mcvax!piring!guido or guido%piring.cwi.nl at uunet.uu.net