gettimeofday()

n paul at unisoft.UUCP
Fri Apr 29 03:05:46 AEST 1988

I've noticed that gettimeofday() (the A/UX emulation of the BSD system
call) may run slower than many people think (a number of programs - CAP, X
NeWS etc use this heavily), in BSD the timezone information is obtained
from the kernel, in A/UX it must come from disk ..... 5 minutes with adb
shows that if you don't want the timezone information (most applications
do not) the following macro can be used:

		#define	gettimeofday(time, timezone) _gettimeofday(time)

again this is only a real issue if you call gettimofday a lot (rather than
just once per program)

		Paul

--
Paul Campbell, UniSoft Corp. 6121 Hollis, Emeryville, Ca
	E-mail:		..!{ucbvax,hoptoad}!unisoft!paul