X-Windows price for A/UX

Mike Hoegeman mh at wlbr.EATON.COM
Sun Apr 24 11:10:44 AEST 1988

In article <285 at piring.cwi.nl> guido at cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>In article <4466 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>>I think it's funny how the "public domain" X window system usually ends
>>up costing big bucks from the vendors who support it, while the
>>"proprietary" NeWS system costs $100 for Suns, $225 for Macs, etc.
>
>I would like to know what's included in "etc".  X11 for my VaxStation2000
>running Ultrix cost only the price of the MIT X tape; is NeWS available
>for my machine?  Can I then run NeWS clients on a Harris "tahoe"
>processor (where I am running most X clients)?  The big bucks you are
>mentioning probably refer to "support".  X without support is as cheap
>as NeWS.  How good is NeWS supported for non-Sun machines?

well.. I've seen NeWS running on a microvax using ultrix. it was a black
and white display. I think sun themselves did that port ( i could be wrong
here on this point ). NeWS runs on LOTS of other stuff as well. here are
some that I've SEEN it it on.

- silicon graphics
- some flavor of raster technologies machine
- B&W microvax under ultrix (don't know about color).
- suns (obviously). but as a aside on this I've seen it on other third
party graphics boards. We ourselves use NeWS here with parallax graphics
boards on suns. parallax has the capability to bring up live video
in NeWS windows (really spiffy).

also, there are other machines that I've been told it runs on
but have'nt actually seen it.

- amiga
- macII
- whitechapel workstations
- apollo's
- bell technologies 386 box under sysV/streams

anyway my point here is that NeWS runs on things besides suns
and it does so NOW. The support we've had from parallax has been
good and they keep up w/ the new releases in a prompt manner.