Am I missing something obvious - how do you copy in/out from HFS disks?

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Mon Apr 18 17:43:51 AEST 1988

In article <8075 at apple.Apple.Com> phil at apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) writes:

> Sticks and stones ... well, gee folks, what Geoff is complaining about is
> the lack of an easy to use HFS/UNIX filesystem transfer program. It is
> unfortunate that this leads Geoff to conclude that A/UX is a schmuck product.
> I guess that since Ultrix does not have a VMS/UNIX filesystem product it too
> is a schmuck? :-)

You are missing the point, Phil.  DEC does not sell Unix with VMS underlying
it.  Apple *does* sell Unix with an underlying MAC os;  as such, a
fully-baked product would include a *convenient* method of file transfer.
I don't expect Apple to support Mac/Apple-II file transfer any better than
DEC supports Vax/Dec20 transfer (which, BTW, it does quite well...)

As for the "schmuck" and "second-rate" accusations, I'll stand by them.
Anybody who sells an 80 MB disk with a whopping 15 MB of free space is
not thinking things through.  Anybody who sells an OS that you can't buy,
and that you can't buy upgrades for even if you *can* get a copy, is not
even vaguely trying to do a first-rate job.

> please actually USE A/UX beforing complaining
> about it. O.K.? I know that it may seem unreasonable. but, well, gee ....

Why?  I don't have to use a Cray to evaluate its architecture.  I don't
have to use Ada to know that it's a complex language.  And I don't have to
buy a Mac to know that 15 MB isn't enough free space.  We had this same
discussion in comp.windows.misc a couple of months ago.  If my
information is inaccurate, you're welcome to correct it, but don't
expect me to lay out precious dollars to Apple just so you will feel I'm
justified in complaining.

> Better things are coming.

Good.  Someday A/UX will be fully baked.  It would be nice to have a machine
that combined the best of the Mac and Unix.  Let me know when it's not
vaporware.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff at ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff