What is the official availability status of A/UX

John Gilmore gnu at hoptoad.uucp
Sun Apr 3 15:22:54 AEST 1988

gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) wrote:
> As of this week, there are 7 (seven) dealers in the world who are
> allowed to sell A/UX...

Some more info: We called three of them last week.  None of the three
has A/UX.  They have been "selected" but not trained yet, so Apple will
not ship them A/UX.  They don't even have a demonstration unit, let alone
sellable copies.  The three we reached were:

> Alpha Computers		Lake Oswego, OR		503 636 7208
> Microcomputer Systems		Bellevue, WA		206 455 8822
> Microcomputer Systems		Lynnwood, WA		206 778 7337

Also, we (the Grasshopper Group) ordered a Mac-II with A/UX through
the Certified Developer program a few weeks ago.  It arrived on Thursday.
So ordinary Certified Developers *can* buy A/UX, BY MAIL ORDER EVEN!, though
it still seems that mortals can't.  If Apple would extend this service
to everybody, I strongly suspect it would have more A/UX customers!

PS:  To become a developer, you have to submit a business plan.  If
they like it, they will sell you hardware at about 50% of list, and
supposedly give you access to secret technical info and such.  It makes
Macs downright price-competitive!  Our plan was one or two pages long
and they didn't mind.  It must be an interesting job, reading the
business plans of all the companies that claim to be developing Mac
products, kind of like reading the trade rags a year in advance...
{pyramid,pacbell,amdahl,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu			  gnu at toad.com
"Don't fuck with the name space!" -- Hugh Daniel