Toolbox Doesn't Work With Viking I Monitor

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Thu Dec 1 03:15:03 AEST 1988

In article <6298 at bunny.UUCP> dcr0 at bunny.UUCP (David Robbins) writes:
>I have an A/UX Macintosh II with a Moniterm Viking I Monitor.  Everything
>works just fine and dandy, except for one little detail: the A/UX Toolbox
>does not seem to notice that there is a mouse attached to the machine.  If
>
>1) Is there really something lacking that Moniterm ought to have put into
>   their ROMs (or ought to have supplied to be loaded into A/UX)?
>
>2) Is there some reasonably straightforward magic incantation I can speak
>   at A/UX to convince the toolbox that there really is a mouse out there?

Dave - this is a real puzzler. A large variety of video cards and their
monitors, both Apple and third party, work just fine on A/UX, with mouse
tracking and all. This is from early BETAs through A/UX 1.0 and on.

Normally, the code in the monitor ROM on the video card has nothing to do
with mouse handling/tracking. A GUESS repeat GUESS is that the code on the
ROM on your third party card is doing a nono and interfering (via a patch??)
with the code used to track the mouse.

A/UX comes with all the code for mouse handling.

You might ask your vendor if they are up to date on Apple guidelines for
video card ROMs -- especially in making sure that the code in the ROM
is "32-bit safe".

See also "Designing Cards and Drivers for Macintosh II and Macintosh SE",
Addison-Wesley, 1987.
| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  | There's a million things we'd like to say, but we  |
| Cupertino CA 95014     | aren't supposed to piss anybody off. Oh well ...   |