Suggestion for console emulator

James J Dempsey jjd at bbn.com
Mon Jul 25 09:01:26 AEST 1988

A suggestion for the A/UX development people, if they are listening.

Please make the console emulator generate an ASCII NUL (^@) when you
type a Control-Space.  VT1xxs and VT2xxs do this.  VT52s did this.
Good Mac terminal emulators (like VersaTerm) do this.  I don't know if
MacTerminal does it, but it should if it is trying to emulate a VT100.

This would be very helpful for us emacs users since ^@ is the
"set-mark" command in emacs and is used quite often.  I believe that
the reason ^@ was originally bound to the "set-mark" command was
because it was easy to type Control-Space on a VT52.

By the way, thank you *very* much for including GNU Emacs in the A/UX
distribution.  It saved me from sending it down over a 9600bps kermit
connection!

		--Jim Dempsey--
		BBN Communications
		jjd at bbn.com (ARPA Internet)
                ..!{decvax, harvard, wjh12, linus}!bbn!jjd