ae0: error message

Charlie C. Kim cck at cunixc.columbia.edu
Sat Jun 18 16:44:57 AEST 1988

In article <3422 at ut-emx.UUCP> boerner at ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) writes:

>Has anyone out there received the following message:
>  ae0:  overflow NIC reset failed
>  ae6_intr:  Receive overflow warning.

Yes, I've been waiting to see if anyone else had this problem.  This
happens every time I leave my mac booted for any period of time.  I
believe it happens a result of many closely spaced packets causing the
board to go into a bad hardware state that the driver cannot reset...

The problem is in the driver or the hardware (possibly related to the
EtherTalk card hardware problem reported in some trade journals).

You can restart things by doing issuing the following sequence:
	ifconfig ae0 down
	ifconfig ae0 up
(which leads me to believe a driver fix is possible even if it is
hardware is at fault -- if the overflow reset fails, then just
reinitialize the card).  Doesn't help much if you aren't near the
console though.

Charlie C. Kim
User Services
Columbia University