Free Exhibit Space for Student Ada Mac Applications?

Edward Berard eberard at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 30 20:33:06 AEST 1988

I am toying with an idea, and am posting it on the net for some
feedback.

I am on the executive committee for a large Ada trade show being held
in Anaheim, California in mid-October of this year. I am considering a
number of types of exhibits. At Mac World EXPOs, there is often a booth
sponsored by Apple in which students may exhibit their Macintosh
applications. I would like to conduct the same type of an exhibit with
Ada applications running on the Macintosh.

The rules would be simple:

   1. Eligible participants would be college and university students
      who have created Ada applications on and for the Macintosh.

   2. Those applications deemed to be worthwhile would be provided
      FREE booth space in a large community booth at the
      above-mentioned Ada trade show. Since space is limited,
      applications would be considered on a first-come-first-serve
      basis.

   3. The applications would have to be engineered to a large degree
      using the Ada language. Specifically, while mixed-language
      applications would be considered, all accepted applications
      would have to be at least 50% written in Ada.

There are currently at least 3 validated Ada compilers for the
Macintosh. TeleSoft (based in San Diego) and Alsys (based in Waltham,
Mass.) have Ada compilers that run under A/UX on the Mac II. Meridian
(based in Laguna Hills, Calif.) has an Ada compiler that runs under
MPW on the Plus, SE and II.

Let me know what you think (flames and all).

				-- Ed Berard
				   (301) 695-6960