What is the official availability status of A/UX

Joel Garrett garrett at udel.EDU
Wed Mar 30 22:35:48 AEST 1988

In article <1819 at ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:

>This must be a clever Apple marketing ploy...seriously Apple just
>doesn't seem to take A/UX seriously ... this is the most ridiculous
>distribution scheme I have ever heard of! Couple this with the A/UX
>on a disk controversy ... are these people for real?  Are they
>making life a living hell for those that want A/UX hoping that these
>people will move on to MacOS...

Is thise really the case?  There has been a lot of skepticism in the MacPress
about Apple's intentions with A/UX (So you want to buy a Mac II, and your
boss says it has to run Unix?  Yeah, we can do that! But why would you want to
do that when you get all these neat programs that run under MacOS... :-)
I hope this isn't the case.  I remember Xenix on the Lisa - just barely.  It
wasn't all that memorable - they essentially just took away all the user
interface stuff and made it just another Unix box, which it didn't do a very
good job at.  Of course most of the press releases have Apple showing itself
as being very committed to A/UX, but from several of the meetings that I have
been to seem to point up to me that Apple may have started A/UX as "me too"
but may be changing their strategy due to the response they've been getting
to it. (Wow, people really do want to run Unix on this puppy - maybe we better
spend some more time on getting it right! ;-)  Personally, I'm all for it
but then again Apple has always gone for the broader market - not just the
guys that program the systems most of the time.

And now for some A/UX questions...

Is anyone working on an AppleShare server for A/UX?  How about X-Windows?
Anyone have any suggestions for optimal system configurations to run
A/UX (besides "as much RAM and HD space as you can afford")?
Would a beefed-out II make a decent NFS server for a lab of IIs, or would
something like a Sun-server be a better idea?

					Thanks in advance,
					Joel Garrett
					Research Associate
					University of Delaware, CCM