Another A/UX question, re: rn, AUX dialup.

wmd at tippy.uucp wmd at tippy.uucp
Thu Oct 27 02:54:00 AEST 1988

I am currently using three Hayes 2400's somewhat successfully with my A/UX
box.  The following problems occurred and I will attempt to describe my
kludge to get them working.

The modem settings:
  The modems are set to reset on DTR drop, set DCD according to the
  state of the carrier, command mode disabled, and numeric result
  codes.

The A/UX box settings:
  getty to respawn using the mo_1200 gettydef label.  mo_1200 was modified
  to try mo_2400 after a break, then mo_300, and then back to mo_1200.

The problem:
  If someone calls in connects and hangs up before logging in, getty
  dies and is not respawned by init.  Modem control does not take effect
  until login occurs.  That is, a loss of carrier does not result in
  a termination of processes and respawn of getty until a successful
  login has occurred.

The Solutions attempted:
  I tried rewriting getty but was unsuccessfull in getting my implementation
  to work.  I sent multiple Applelinks to Apple on the problem.  They must
  not read their Applelink mail in the A/UX group.  I offerred to write a
  special implementation of getty for them (for free!) if they would give
  me the source to their getty under non-disclosure... not a word from them.

The Kludge at it now stands:
  There is a cron demon running each minute saying '/etc/telinit q' which
  forces init to re-examine the inittab and respawn the getty processes
  which have failed to respawn.  Users still need to generate a break to
  cause getty to attempt the next baud rate.  It works, I don't like it,
  I never will, but I have seen no alternatives from Apple nor even a response
  to my queries.  There appears to be a real problem using Hayes modems
  with A/UX and someone needs to offer a solution...I thought I'd outline
  mine.  Hope it helps.

Malcolm Duncan         Duncan Communications Public Access Usenet System
Internet:              tippy!root at newton.physics.purdue.edu   (317) 567-2143
US Mail:               RR #1 Box 98E, Battle Ground, IN  47920

Disclaimer:  Duncan Communications is a private for-profit (ha!) organization.
             All opinions expressed here are my own and those sharing them
             may send me royalty checks at the beginning of each year.  Mail
             them to the above address.  ($50 per opinion, $10 per resentment)