Problems booting A/UX

Larry Riddle riddle at emory.uucp
Thu Oct 27 03:49:43 AEST 1988

Yesterday I installed the new system 6.0.2 on my MacII machine. Besides
using this under the Mac OS, I also have A/UX on the hard disk. After
the installation, I discovered I could not boot A/UX. The message I
got was

*****
Initialization
HALT
Application base too high
(=0x326ac)  <- this number would vary under different attempts

The shell needs to run in a particular area of memory. Either you are
trying to run under a memory sharing system or the system heap is too
big

IN-1
*****

I was not running multifinder, so the memory sharing system should not
have been the problem. Suspecting that the number of inits I was
running might be the problem, I removed almost everything from the
system file and started putting the inits back in one at a time.
WIth a barebone system file there was no problem booting A/UX. The
next thing I discovered was that without Quickeys, I could boot A/UX,
but with Quickeys I could not. Same thing with Suitcase II. At this
point I stopped experimenting.

NOTE: I am NOT claiming that Quickeys and Suitcase II were responsible
in any way, only that I did have problems booting with them loaded.

Since I like using Quickeys and Suitcase very much when running the
Mac OS, I finally decided to put back my old copies of the system
and finder (system 4.2) Once I did this, I could run
all my inits and also boot A/UX.

So the question is...what might be an explanation for this behavior?
Does it have anything to do with system 6.0.2? I must confess that I
did not have the time to really do a lot of investigating and try all
different combinations of inits, cdevs, etc. to see how big the system
heap was getting.

Basic setup:
Mac II
80 Meg hard disk drive with A/UX
5 megs memory
Originally system 4.2, then system 6.0.2 (using the installer program)
Appleshare 2.0.1 installed (at the same time as 6.0.2)

A curious Mac, A/UX user, trying to have the best (?) of both worlds.

--
Larry Riddle        | riddle at mathcs.emory.edu         PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!riddle    UUCP