a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Fri Oct 7 16:02:00 AEST 1988

In article <15054 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mellon at eris.berkeley.edu (Ted Lemon) writes:

>We also
>haven't received any documentation about how to make a second drive work,
>or any of that wonderful stuff.

Well, this part is (relatively) easy.  Just format the drive, then use dp to
create the partitions.  Then put 'pname' entries into ptab and the mount info
into mtab.  It took two days of reading the FM and trying to make
it go,... but it was trivial when I finally figured out what was going on.

Too bad Apple hasn't written up a quick checksheet for this.  BTW: HD setup,
which creates partition maps on Apple drives, has a different idea of what
flag bits to set than A/UX does.  No one seems to know why, at this time.
Also, none of Apple's HD Setup partitions use bad-block areas.  I don't know
if this is because (1) the disk controller has hardware bad-blocking, or
(2) the software bad-blocking does not work, or (3) the Mac OS people don't
know what this field means, or (4) Apple disks never get bad blocks.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)