Can an 030 need a PMMU?

Jeffrey Buchsbaum 63848e at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Thu Oct 13 11:34:23 AEST 1988

I called Dove Computer today to ask about an '030 board ugrade for the II. They
told me that I would still need to buy a 68851 chip(PMMU) with their 030. Is
is possible that an 030 can still need a PMMU.  I would like an 030, but
only if it also allows me to avoid a PMMU purchase. Otherwise, their description
of a 30 percent increase in performance for the 1800 dollar 33mhz seems strange
from a marketing point of view. I thought the 030 had the PMMU in it.

Their 030 board clips into the 020 sockets, to clarify any confusion, and
comes with inits and stuff to let the caches work.
This is from some documentation that they sent to me.

One confused MacII hacker.

The goofy, all pupose disclaimer (needed or not):
I am in no way associated with any company discussed or mentioned.
All opinions are my own, and fully admit to not knowing that much.

Please send email to Jeffrey Buchsbaum at
jeffrey.buchsbaum at eleazar.dartmouth.edu

or to

Jeffrey Buchsbaum
H.B.0559