BSD 4.2 filesystems

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at athena.mit.edu
Fri Oct 21 07:02:15 AEST 1988

We just got our 80SC hard disk, and I was wondering if anyone knew how
to put a BSD filesystem on it, and if it was possible at all.  The
manual page for mount hints tantalizing on being able to escape the
AT&T System V filename lossage, by specifying mount type "4.2" versus
"5.2".  Over NFS, greater than 14 character filenames work fine, so
the kernel support must be at least partially there.

Also, does anyone have information about whether it is possible to
boot from a 4.2 filesystem, and how to make a secondary hard disk
bootable (5.2 or 4.2)?

I'd read TFM if I had the TFM.  (I'd much rather perfer source code,
but somehow I doubt I'm going to get access to it anytime soon.)  I've
been spoiled by having complete and ready access to the systems I
normally use, and thus being able to have bugs fixed (or at least
identified as bugs) in finite time....
Theodore Ts'o				mit-eddie!mit-athena!tytso
3 Ames St., Cambridge, MA 02139		tytso at athena.mit.edu
			If it's for real, it isn't!