a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Thu Oct 6 03:47:41 AEST 1988

In article <1981 at spdcc.COM> dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
  [Why is it that there is not someone from Apple lurking on the net
   who can answer about legitimate problems?]

>Whatsa matter, you folks don't use ethernet?  You don't use A/UX?
>Your boss has commanded that you don't say anything because the
>design of the ethernet card is bad and you can't afford to replace
>them all? What's going on?  I'd really like to hear something.

Steve has a rational question. We at Apple tend to answer questions that
we know the answer to or have definite/strong opinions on. Networking
problems are complex -- we aren't at the customers site and generally
don't know what unusual and/or unique local "customizations" may exist
at the site for example.

If it makes you feel better, I was reading comp.unix.aux specifically
to gather up all the "I have a network/Ethernet problem" postings and
put them in a document for the manager of the A/UX Ethernet group to
read. I was doing this because my reaction was like Steve's -- gee, there
are a lot of complaints about this suddenly, maybe we'd better look see.

What is going on? Well, there is no bad Ethernet card situation or anything
like that. And I don't know enough about protocols to say if the postings
show "we is doing it wrong" or what. BUT WE ARE AWARE OF IT AND AIN'T
IGNORING IT.

Looking at my saved postings file, the last time we have a "bunch" of
I have an Ethernet problem was quite a time ago. It seemed that 4-5 people
plugged their Ethernet card into A/UX and expected it to right without
running autoconfig and setting the daemons on /etc/inittab. So there
was a bunch of "A/UX Ethernet doesn't work" postings. The instructions in
the release manual explicitly showed how to run autoconfig and enable the
daemons -- but hey, we're Macintosh users, we don't read no stinkin' manuals...

Is that "anti-dead air" enough? :-)
| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  | If you post a bug to the net, and the manufacturer |
| Cupertino CA 95014     | doesn't read it,does that mean it doesn't exist?   |