a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)

Dave Martindale dave at onfcanim.UUCP
Thu Oct 6 14:40:43 AEST 1988

In article <18289 at apple.Apple.COM> phil at Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) writes:

>| If you post a bug to the net, and the manufacturer |
>| doesn't read it,does that mean it doesn't exist?   |

Unlike trees in a forest, when one user makes a noise the rest listen.

While we're talking about Ethernet:

I posted a query a while ago asking why NFS on A/UX always reads and
writes 1024 bytes at a time, ignoring the rsize and wsize options
to "mount", plus any hints that the NFS server may provide.

I got a couple of responses (but none from Apple) suggesting that the
Ethernet card just isn't capable of receiving multiple back-to-back
packets, and so the software forces the read size to be small enough
that only one packet will get sent back.

Question one: is this true?  Is Apple going to offer an "industrial-strength"
Ethernet card that has better performance?

Question two: even if the card can't handle multiple incoming packets,
why can't I *send* more than 1K in a write?

A/UX has the most reliable NFS implementation of the various machines
around here, and I'm happy about that, but also the worst performance.
I'd like reliability *and* speed.