a/ux 1.0.1 (actually, ethernet interfaces)

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Sun Oct 9 15:30:09 AEST 1988

In article <8254 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter at tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:

>Ah. But how do I get my Priam 330 meg disk to work under both MacOS and
>A/UX? The manual specifically states that this is hairy, and that they don't
>want to tell you how to mix operating systems, but I want to anyway.

>First problem: Since the Priam doesn't know about partitions, if I use dp
>to add the six or so I need for A/UX will that wipe out the driver?

Well, that is indeed the problem.  The only way you can mix the systems is if
the driver supplied for the Mac OS will honor the new type partition map, and
reinitialize the OS partition based on the logical size in the PM entry.  We
finally got a version of the SuperMac driver that will do this,... but it took
some time.  BTW, there ought to be a way to zero the first three blocks of a
partition from 'dp'.  If you resize a Mac OS partition without moving it, the
driver has no way of knowing that the last 500 blocks now belong to A/UX!

Push on your friendly (sic!) vendor to get a better driver.

Did you know that the installation program must not only put the driver update
in the place the Partition Map says, but must also update the driver pointer
field in block 0? (Helpful hint #315)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)