a/ux look-alikes etc

John Kullmann jk at Apple.COM
Sat Sep 3 02:39:54 AEST 1988

In article <adndIc2rdV1010afeWQ at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> craig at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Craig Harmer) writes:
>well, then what exactly did Apple buy from Unisoft?  it's my understanding
>that A/UX is based on a product from Unisoft, and further, that the
>next release of A/UX is dependent on the next release of Unix from
>Unisoft.

A/UX is based on SVR2, not on a product from UniSoft. The next release of
A/UX is not dependent on anything from UniSoft, just on the A/UX group
here at Apple slaving away as fast as we can :-).

>Or do you believe that Apple hasn't purchased anything
>from Unisoft?

Since I am the one managing our relationship with UniSoft
I KNOW what we have and haven't done with them. We did contract
with them to do work on A/UX and some of the documentation, but
that's old news.

>Or that Apple is producing something other than Unix?

No, our UNIX is just like everyone elses, only better...:-), and
different...:-).  What I am saying is that it really is UNIX. I am
not sure what you mean by this, but I hope that answers it.

Geez, I hope SOMEDAY we can leave all this worry about who did what and
when to Apple's A/UX behind us. I don't hear or see people flaming and
going on and on about WHO worked on other vendors UNIX. We aren't the
first company to use contractors do so some of our s/w development.
And I suspect that everyone has just as many skeletons in their closets as
we might have in ours.

Hope this helps