A/UX and system 6.0.2 (SASH)

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Wed Sep 28 14:28:17 AEST 1988

I have a Mac II system with a Mac OS (only) disk and an A/UX disk.  I used
to be able to run the A/UX boot program (SASH) from the Mac disk.  However I
just updated the OS to version 6.0.2, and now when I try to boot I get the
messages "Application base too high" and "system heap is too big".  How do I
reduce the system heap size in 6.0.2, but still have a running system?  Under
6.0 the heap was on the order of 275K, under 6.0.2 it is 375K more or less,
depending on whether caching is on (and whether or not I am running the "fish"
background).  Eliminating everything optional, I still only get down to 320K,
which is still too big.

As a stopgap, I have configured a MINIMAL (no fonts extra, no inits, no nothing)
system file in the MacOS partion of the A/UX disk.  If I reboot to that as the
startup, I can launch A/UX.  However, that is not a wholly satisfactory
solution.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)