Using one Jasmine partition for A/UX

George Drapeau drapeau at Jessica.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 21 08:58:21 AEST 1988

In article <662 at stech.UUCP> sysop at stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>I have a 100 meg external Jasmine drive with three partitions, one for the
>Mac OS, one for MS-DOS (unfortunate, but necessary...), and a third which
>I'd like to use with A/UX.
>
>How in the world do I get A/UX to recognize that partition? The documentation
>suggests that I should start with dp, but the drive is already partitionned.
>Has anybody out there done this? Would you be so kind as to share the
>trick with me?

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question I had about getting A/UX
(or Finder) to recognize a Jasmine 50 as a 50Meg drive.  I've done
some legwork, and my answer should answer your question, also.  I'm
sorry if this turns out to be more than you want; I'm kind of
answering two things at once.  If anybody has useful information to
add, or constructive criticism (e.g., "George, how utterly STUPID can
you be?  Why did you do that?!"), please post it or send me mail.

My problem was that Finder couldn't format the DD50 as a 50Meg disk,
and Jasmine's DriveWare isn't A/UX compatible (as of last Thursday, at
least).  But, when I did "dp" on the Jasmine, all 50 Meg showed up.
The problem was that it showed up in two different partitions, named

	MacOS		(type: Apple_HFS)
	Extra		(type: Apple_Free)

So I decided to try and make a different filesystem on each partition
(actually, I tried to combine these two partitions into one, since
they seemed to represent contiguous space.  I strongly recommend you
do *NOT* try this).  Here's what I did:

First, do all the stuff that the "A/UX Accessory Kit" docs tell you.
They walk you through the "dp" process, telling you to change some
fields on disk to make it an A/UX disk.  I did this for both
partitions, changing each to A/UX partitions, naming them
"Lots_O_Storage" and "More_Storage".  Be sure to save those changes by
exiting "dp" with the "wq" command.

Next I ran the 'pname' command, which announces to A/UX the new
partition names I've created.  I typed, for example:

	pname -c6 "Lots_O_Storage"

which told A/UX that one of my newly-created partitions is on SCSI
address 6.  'pname' gave that partition a slice number, which is used
later.  I did another pname command for "More_Storage".

Next, I created the '/etc/ptab' file, so that every time I boot A/UX,
the system would know about my partitions.  I did that by typing

	pname -p >/etc/ptab

(Oops!  Please, *please* make sure you're root while you do all of
this stuff.)

If you just type "pname -p", that'll list the partitions that A/UX
knows about, and their corresponding places on disk(s).

After I did this, I went back to the A/UX Accessory Kit instructions,
which told me to make a file system on each of my partitions, then run
'fsck' on them, run 'mklost+found', then make a mount point for each
partition, mount them on the system, and edit my 'etc/fstab' file to
tell A/UX what partitions were mounted as what directories.

That's the short of it.  The key here was to use "pname" to set
information about how the disk was partitioned.

If you have any questions about what I wrote, send me mail or post a
message.  I just hacked at it as long as I could, since I could find
nobody who's done this before.  If anybody has had similar
experiences, please let me know.  If you have a better way of doing
this, I'd like to know that, too.

I hope this helped some.

George D. Drapeau			Internet: drapeau at jessica.stanford.edu
Academic Information Resources