Fun with Dick and Jane

Ken Seefried iii ken at capone.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 30 01:12:47 AEST 1989

In article <14726 at dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh at eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>In article <10936 at polya.Stanford.EDU> shaff at Sesame.Stanford.EDU
>	(Mike Shaff) writes:
>>To some up my illustration of JUST ONE NIGHT OF PLEASURE (there have
>>been others, but I want to save those stories for nights my children
>>won't go to bed), I pushed across, via floppy, release 6.2.2 of MIT
>>CScheme (approx 2 Mb)...
>
>     Why don't you use the serial port?  A/UX comes with Kermit.

Oh, well....of course Earle...'kermit' makes up just fine for the lack
of an adequate backup system for A/UX.  I just LOVE backing up 300MB
of hard disk with 'kermit'.  And moving the X distribution to A/UX
with 'kermit'...why, thats only 45MB at 2400 baud...why would ANYONE
want to use a tape drive for that...

>     I once sent a 2 Mb file over a 2400 baud modem line.  I don't
>know how long it took, nor do I care, because I took off for a real
>night of pleasure once the transfer started...

You sent 2MB once?  Some of us move 2MB files around most every day.
And we DO care how long it takes.  I can see it now: walk in to work
at 9am and tell the boss "Gee, boss...I'm going to take a few hours
of pleasure 'cause I have to transfer a file to my A/UX machine..."
Yea, right...

At least we can ethernet them to machines with a real backup
capability...
	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken at gatech.edu		masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax,
	                      ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken