Disk Partition failure

Herb Barad barad at bourbon.ee.tulane.edu
Wed Jul 12 01:22:05 AEST 1989

I have A/UX 1.1 and a Dataframe XP150.  I have a root partition and a
/users partition (besides the Eschatology, swap, and so on).  The root
partition gives me no trouble at all, but the /users partition seems
to get corrupted all the time.

Whenever I do a dump (I've done this with /users mounted and
unmounted), the next time the machine is booted, fsck fails miserably
on the partition (not on '/' but on '/users').  In fact, the partition
is so messed up, I can never recover it and I need to make a new file
system on the partition and restore it.

I am not sure if the dump is messing up the partition, but I don't see
why it would be.  When I boot up the first time with the partition
remade and empty, all is fine.  I then restore it from a previous dump
and all is still fine.  Then the next time the machine is rebooted,
the fsck notes that the partition size is some incredibly large
negative number and complains about it.

Can anybody help out?  Since I don't have any problems with the root
partition, maybe I should rebuild the whole thing with only one
partition (just the root) and leave it at that.  I hope I've
partitioned the Dataframe 150 correctly (I believe I have, I haven't
had any problems until I put files on the /users).  Anyone have any
current partitioning information for a Dataframe?

--
Herb Barad	[Signal & Image Processing Laboratory]
		[Electrical Engineering Dept. - Tulane Univ.]
INTERNET:	barad at bourbon.ee.tulane.edu
USENET:		barad at bourbon.uucp