GNU gcc on Apple AUX 1.1

Tim Endres time at oxtrap.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us
Thu Jul 27 07:13:31 AEST 1989

In article <18710 at mimsy.UUCP> steveg at tove.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:

   All the diffs you need to make gcc work under AUX are available on apple.com
   via anonymous ftp.  I have built it, and it works for the most part but I have
   run into problems using the -g option.  Alot of assembler errors.

These assembler errors are probably optimization table overflows
caused by the brainless need to allocate static table arrays. Try
using the directive (-Wa,n, I think) to stop assembler optimization.

BTW: This optimization overflows, while they produce code, cause the
     code to be *very* incorrect.

   PS: I have also run into the problem where I get a message that tells me that
   I have conflicting defs for size_t.  /usr/include/sys/types.h? and the gcc-
   includes do infact have defs for size_t.  Anybody know which one to use?

I would use "int". A/UX says int ~ long, but when I run the size
program from the C++ release, it says a "word" is 16 bits. Why this
distinction I do not know, but I would stick to the declaration in the
/usr/include/sys/types.h.

BTW: The compiler under 1.0.1 never complained about size_t.