Programming questions

norman wong nrjwong at lotus.waterloo.edu
Fri May 26 04:11:00 AEST 1989

Hi, this is my second posting so no flames please, I've got
low self-confidence as it is.
OK. I know how to program on the Mac under MacOS. I might
take up aproject which involves programming under A/UX.
We're still waiting for a copy of A/UX (1.1 hopefully).

>From reading this group for awhile, it seems as if most
Mac apps will run under A/UX. I still don't understand
the statement someone made about not having multi-window,
multi-application capability.

My questions include:
What compiler can/do you use? Is it cc or could I use
Mac C compilers(like Lightspeed C) under A/UX?
Can I invoke more than one copy of the same program ie.
"program &".
Can I invoke the program from the command line piping
it some info?
Are there things about toolbox support which I should still
worry about?

In general the programs I'll be working on, manipulate
image data in various ways, then the info is pipe to
the display program.  The display program puts up a window
showing the resulting image.  The user may move the window
around but that's about it for interaction.  When the user
clicks in the close box, the program will be finished.

I know there are a lot of questions, but I've got an
enquiring mind :-), as usual I'll post a summary of the replies.
Please reply to one of the addresses below.

Thanks.

Johnny Lee (using nrjwong's account)
jlee4 at orchid.waterloo.edu
!watmath!orchid!jlee4

My opinions are my own; U of Waterloo doesn't even know I exist...
just ask my profs!