backups for A/UX

Hal Jespersen hlj at posix.UUCP
Tue May 16 01:58:12 AEST 1989

I am looking for a good backup unit for A/UX.  I have considered the
Apple SC40 tape, but it is pricey and uses a cartridge that is not
common in the UNIX world.  My preferences for equipment would be:

	1)  A tape system that used UNIX industry standard formats,
	such as QIC-24.  It would need to have an A/UX driver available
	for access via tar or cpio.  [Best.]

	2)  A removable cartridge disk, in the 40MB+ range, that A/UX
	could mount and umount as a file system.  (I'm told that there
	may be problems sending the hardware eject commands.) [Good.]

	3)  A tape that used some other format, but that could deal
	with both MacOS and A/UX.  I would want to backup entire A/UX
	partitions and be able to use tar or cpio for individual
	files.  [OK.]

If you can help, please contact me.  Thanks.

					Hal Jespersen
					POSIX Software Group
					447 Lakeview Way
					Redwood City, CA 94062