A/UX with third-party drive?

Alexis Rosen alexis at ccnysci.UUCP
Tue May 16 22:48:54 AEST 1989

I've mentioned this a few times before, but I can do it again...

Irwin has some really nice stuff for the Mac, and one of the nicest is
their backup system for A/UX. It has a genuine A/UX driver, and the hardware
is pretty nice also. They get about 4MB/minute with their own proprietary
tape format, using DC2000 cartridges to store 120MB. This is quite competitive
with the TEAC 60MB drives in performace and price, and considerably better
in capacity.

They will have a 250MB drive in the next month or two, and a DC600 drive
sometime this summer.

I'll say it again, since it's so important. THEY ARE THE ONLY COMPANY TO
HAVE DONE AN A/UX TAPE RIGHT, INCLUDING APPLE. IF YOU NEED A REAL TAPE
SOLUTION, TALK TO THEM. It's outrageous that Apple has built such an
incredibly bad piece of junk as their 40MB tape, but neither they nor
anyone else have seen fit to do the job right, except Irwin.

---
Alexis Rosen
alexis at ccnysci.{uucp,bitnet}
alexis at rascal.ics.utexas.edu  (last resort)