Any experience with SuperMac 330 MB external drive under A/UX?

Geoff Peck geoff at Apple.COM
Tue May 23 09:09:54 AEST 1989

In article <31340 at apple.Apple.COM> jrg at Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) asks
about 300MB external drives for A/UX.

I recently got to try a CDC Wren Runner, which is 321MB unit with a 10.7ms
seek time.  (Yes, 10.7ms -- it's FAST!)  From what I can see, this is the
drive you want!

The particular incarnation which I got to use came from MicroNet Technology
(714) 837-6033, and costs $2645 (special Apple pricing).  This price includes
a cabinet with room for one additional 1/2-height drive.  (You might
want to consider the 45MB SyQuest removeable cartridge for $935.)

MicroNet's supplied software was able to set the drive up for A/UX, albeit
as a twin of the HD80 partitions.  Using 'dp', it was only moderately
painful to install an additional 235MB file system to fill the drive up.
Further experimentation with 'dp' would no doubt permit one to partition
the drive as desired.
---
Geoff Peck, Apple Computer, Inc., MS60-E, Cupertino, CA 95014    (408) 974-3184
geoff at apple.com {sun,nsc}!apple!geoff AppleLink: PECK.G #include <disclaimer.h>