NFS mounting from Macs

John Danner john at wizard.UUCP
Tue May 23 07:25:28 AEST 1989

Can someone explain to me why a Mac using the same hard drive as a Sun386i
might be significantly slower as an NFS server?  There seems to be a
significantly longer amount of time needed to transfer large files or to
save a large file under emacs, etc.  I have heard something like A/UX's
I/O buffer is too small and slows down transfers, but I would like to hear
from people with more A/UX expertise.  We are also thinking about making
a Mac our gateway to the Internet, but I am worried that we would
experience a similar problem when doing large ftp's, although I doubt it
would be as painful as NFS.

John Danner
Tandem Computers
...!decwrl!pacbell!tandem!wizard!john