The monster that ate my RAM

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Wed May 17 04:31:41 AEST 1989

In article <9219 at polya.Stanford.EDU> shaff at Sesame.Stanford.EDU (Mike Shaff) writes:
>... does the below message
>really indicate that A/UX is using the rest of memory?
>
>Total memory size 8388608
>Available memory 4505600
>
>(pronounced OX) box.  Can A/UX really be using all of that memory?

Yes. It looks like kconfig(1) has been run and set some large (but
typical) values for things like NBUFS. For example, I typically have
NBUF=5000 NFILE=400 NINODE=400 for 8 megs. You can cut that way down
by 3 megs or more by downsizing these parameters. The system release notes
contain the guidelines.
|Philip K. Ronzone, Apple Computer, 10440 Bubb Rd, MS 58A, Cupertino, CA 95014|
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft,...}!apple!phil             |