Anyone have experience with SuperMac Appletalk card?

Steve C. Lemke lemke at banana.ucsb.edu
Mon May 1 15:16:19 AEST 1989

In an article <@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> owenr at gpu.utcs.UUCP (Russell Owen) writes:
}	I want to print to a laserwriter from a machine running AUX.
}AUX doesn't support appletalk printing.  I think it is possible to print
}to a laserwriter through the serial port but this would make that printer
}unavailable to the Mac OS Appletalk network machines.  SuperMac apparently
}makes such a card but so far they haven't returned my phone calls.
}Is anyone using such a card?  Do other people have suggestions.
}I am considering this route instead of a GatorBox for price reasons.

Ahhh.  Earlier, I posted a message indicating I had heard of a program that
allowed you to use any Macintosh (down to the Plus) to collect the PostScript
that you generate into its serial port, and then have it spit it back out
over AppleTalk to the printer.  I also mentioned that I couldn't remember
where I had heard about this program.  Well, I just figured it out.  The
program is called Janus 1.5, and was recently posted to comp.binaries.mac
in two parts.  Here is the info. section from the first posting.  If you
can't find it at your favorite news-carrying site, let me know and I'll
mail it to you...

}[Janus 1.5 - part 1 of 2]
}
}The attached program runs on a Mac (from 128K to Mac II), and takes
}PostScript from its serial port and send it to a LaserWriter on the
}AppleTalk port.  This allows you to attach a non-Mac system into an
}AppleTalk printer network.  The system you attach must have the
}appropriate lineprinter filters to talk to a LW over a serial line;
}Janus tries to behave as would a LW on a serial line responding to
}control sequences just as the LW would.  We use it at Kernel in
}conjunction with a Unix system running Transcript 2.1, and it works
}fine.  It uses the PAP routines that I posted to the moderator some
}time ago.
}
}Read the attached MacWrite file for more details.
}
}Sak Wathanasin
}(I have a new job, and you cannot reply via e-mail.  Send bug reports
}to me by post to
}Research and Development Group
}Linotype UK
}Bath Road