Make room! Make room!

Thomas E. Bernhard teb at sequoia.UUCP
Sat May 20 07:02:15 AEST 1989

In article <DAVIDL.89May18112619 at intelob.intel.com> davidl at intelob.intel.com (David Levine) writes:
>This is probably a very common question, but I haven't seen an answer
>on comp.unix.aux in the last month, so here goes...
>
>The A/UX 80 Meg disk comes full of A/UX.  I want to wipe out some of
>the less-useful parts of A/UX and repartition the disk so as to have
>at least 30 Meg (preferably 40) of MacOS partition.

I did this with A/UX 1.0 had had significant trouble. I tried to get
smart and make the root and usr partition the same thus deleting the
user partition and us NFS to suffice for most of my /usr system. I've
had nothing but trouble. Any files requiring root access across the
network don't work.

>2. What are some obvious candidates for deletion?  I will be the only
>user on the system.

The stack swap space can always be compromised but swap space should be
at least as big as memory as you have. Of course, you could try merging
the root and usr partitions.

>4. How do I perform the partition?  Should I use Apple's HD SC Setup
>or the A/UX dp (if that's what it's called) command?

You have to use Apple's HD SC Setup. Once you've repatitioned it is hard
to convince Unix to use the new partitions. You have to go through the motions
of making the partitions even though you've HD SC did it for you.

All in all it is not worth your effort. It is easily justified given the
amount of work involved of buying an external hard disk for your MacOs work.
BTW, I was able to only free 23Megs for MacOs work :-(

   Tom Bernhard                 execu!teb at cs.utexas.edu
   Execucom Systems             (512) 346-4980
   Austin, Texas
   Tom Bernhard                 execu!teb at cs.utexas.edu