More questions on GCC for A/UX

David W. Berry dwb at sticks.apple.com
Wed May 31 05:38:32 AEST 1989

In article <9527 at polya.Stanford.EDU> shaff at Sesame.Stanford.EDU (Mike Shaff) writes:
>ciao,
>
>I have some questions about GCC & A/UX that perhaps someone on the net would
>humor me by answering.
>
>I snarfed the two files from apple.com related to GCC (gcc-1.35.aux.bin.Z &
>gcc-1.35.aux.tar.Z).  I placed the results of the first file in /usr/local/bin
>(gcc itself) and the rest in /usr/local/lib.  The results of the second file
>in /usr/local/src/gcc-aux.
>
>First, are the files stored in gcc-1.35.aux.bin.Z the results on a complete
>build of GCC or just a stage (e.g., stage 1)?  If, in fact, it is just a stage
>how can I get the Makefile associated with GCC to take advantage of these
>files?  Second, I know that if I rename gcc to be cc and /usr/local/bin occurs
>before /usr/bin in my PATH variable that I will be taking advantage of GCC,
>but how do I get the right thing to happen with CPP?  I have not yet received
>my update to 1.1 (which may I have heard fix the cpp problem) and I am trying
>to port MIT CScheme to A/UX, cpp stands directly in my way!
>
>(peace chance)
>
>	mas
>--
The following is the newly added README.gcc.aux from apple.com.

	Unfortunately, the A/UX native compiler suite has fixed size
tables, some of which are too small to allow it to compile gcc.  To
get around this problem, a binary distribution of gcc-1.35 is provided
for A/UX.  This is a complete, ready to install build of gcc-1.35 for
A/UX.  It was compiled with gcc-1.35 (ie., it's a stage3 build) with
optimization turned on and AUX_ASM defined.  In order to rebuild gcc-1.35
from the sources you need to:

	1.  Get the binary distribution of gcc-1.35.  It can be found
in gcc-1.35.aux.bin.Z on the same machine you found the sources.

	2.  Place "gcc" off the binary distribution in /usr/local/bin
or other directory on your execution path.

	3.  Place all the other files and directories in the binary
distribution in /usr/local/lib.

	4.  Set up the configuration files to build an a/ux version.
		sh config.gcc aux

	5.  Build and install gcc.
		make CC=gcc install
Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
dwb at apple.com		973-5168 at 408.MaBell		AppleLink: berry1