Major bug in A/UX 1.1

Randy Ballew randy at violet.berkeley.edu
Wed May 10 07:43:54 AEST 1989

>>I've also seen similar problems when I run the new (color supported)
>>X11, running innocuous programs like "plaid" from a remote client.
>>The machine bombs and various messages come up:
>>
>>	Double panic: mget
>>
>>	Kernel bus error (then a register dump)
>>	Double panic: kernel memory management error
>
>I can't reproduce this, either. Both of these error messages are somewhat
>indicative of a sytem problem -- I would strongly suggest either a latent
>hardware problem (very possibly on the ethernet card) that got tickled by
>the upgrade or a corrupted kernel. Other possibilities might be a memory
>problem that passes self-test but occasionally flips a bit or a flakey 68030
>chip.
>
>Since a 1.0.1 kernel works, I'd try building a new 1.1 kernel from scratch
>and see whether it works. It sounds like something was corrupted to me.

I experienced a similar problem:  MC68030, AUX 1.1, color X11, 8Mb,
80Mb external disk drive.   Kernel was configured according to the
instructions in "X Window System User's Guide for A/UX:"

	NBUF=1000
	NINODE=600
	NFILE=400
	NPROC=100
	MAXUP=100

The system was left running X and an xterm or two (one with an rlogin) over the
weekend, on Monday it was crashed with a screenful of memory management error
messages and references to XMacII.  The machine was completely wedged, I was
unable to bring up MacOS.  Not being a MacWizard, I was stumped.  Fortunately,
I was able to locate our local Mac expert, who was able to boot the machine
from a floppy.  One unsolved mystery:

	we had to disconnect the SCSI cable before  MacOS would come up.

We were then able to do a sanity restore by "zapping the PRAM," and
resetting all its parameters.  The machine is running X again, I'm waiting for
a repeat performance...  any tips?

Another problem:  the A/UX version[s] of cpp seem unable to cope with certain X
software.  I'm trying to get our hacked up X11R3 HP widgets to compile (they're
compiled and working on Sun 3.5 and 4.0, Ultrix 2.2 and 3.0).  I switched to
/usr/lib/big after /bin/cpp choked in <stdio.h> (!!).  Here's where I'm hung
now:

randy at scrapple [73] % cd MACII
randy at scrapple [74] % make TextEdit.o
	/bin/cc -O -c -I..  -DmacII -B /usr/lib/big/ ../TextEdit.c
../TextEdit.c: 433: token too long
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Line 433 is about half way through the static declaration of the widget's
translations, which I'd rather not modify.

Unless someone has a less painful solution, my next shot is to make a GNU cpp.
Unfortunately,  gcc version 1.35 has no configuration files for AUX.  Before I
reinvent a wheel, has anyone successfully made gcc for AUX?  If so, any tips?

Thanks in advance...

Randy
	Randy Ballew
	randy at violet.berkeley.edu ucbvax!violet!randy