Request for Info on FLOPTICAL drives

Kent Sandvik ksand at appleoz.oz.au
Sat Nov 25 11:11:42 AEST 1989

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes in article <853 at amc-vlsi.UUCP>:
      Has anybody out there used one of the new FLOPTICAL 3-1/2" drives on a
      Mac?  Specifically, I'm looking at the Insite Peripherals Floptical SCSI drive
      that I'd be attaching to my IIcx that's running A/UX 1.1.

      I'd like to hear from anybody that's got one of those up and running, whether its
      under Mac OS or A/UX.

I have a COSMOS 600mb from RACET optical read/write unit for testing.
It works OK both under A/UX and MacOS.  If you want to create A/UX
partitions, first create HFS ones, and change the type with 'dp' from
the A/UX side. The media conforms to ISO, and has a capacity of 298Mb
formatted on two-sides.

The access time is about 50ms, not bad, not good... I don't know who sells
these units in US.

Kent

--
Kent Sandvik  --  ksand at appleoz.oz.AU  | Apple Australia DTS  Ph: +61 2 452 82 93
{uunet,mcvax}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand | AppleLink: AUSTAUX, Discl: All comments mine