2 problems with aliases in sendmail

Kevin Crowston crowston at athena.mit.edu
Sun Nov 12 14:42:50 AEST 1989

I'm having two problems with aliases using the sendmail distributed
with AU/X.

1.  I want to set up a mailing list with about 60 names.  When I
    put these in the /usr/lib/aliases file and run newaliases,
    however, I get an error message saying, in effect, that that's
    too many names (actually, what it says is first that the line
    is too long and then that I have an illegal continuation line).
    How can I expand this limit?  I thought of making it a two level
    list (i.e., list expands to list1, list2, etc., each of which
    expands to 10 names), but I don't think that's such a great answer.

2.  According to the sendmail man page, you can have sendmail include
    files in the aliases by using ":include:file".  When I did this,
    the database had ":include:file" as the translation for name, rather
    than the contents of the file.  When I tried to test this with
    /usr/lib/sendmail -bt name, I got an error message.  So, why can't
    I do this?  Or is the test mode of sendmail wrong?  Or is the
    documentation wrong?

Kevin Crowston

P.S.  Do any Apple people read this list?