2 problems with aliases in sendmail

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Sun Nov 12 14:56:52 AEST 1989

In article <15828 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> crowston at athena.mit.edu (Kevin Crowston) writes:
>2.  According to the sendmail man page, you can have sendmail include
>    files in the aliases by using ":include:file".  When I did this,
>    the database had ":include:file" as the translation for name, rather
>    than the contents of the file.  When I tried to test this with
>    /usr/lib/sendmail -bt name, I got an error message.  So, why can't
>    I do this?  Or is the test mode of sendmail wrong?  Or is the
>    documentation wrong?

The test mode of sendmail works on addresses, not on entries in the
aliases file.  That is, you can't type an alias entry to sendmail.

You may have done this already, but just in case I misinterpreted you
or you misinterpreted the man page, the line in /usr/lib/aliases should be:

name::include:/file/name

Note the two colons after the name, not a single colon.
I'd try this directly, but my A/UX system isn't up right now.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu, dyer at hstbme.mit.edu