Multifinder under Unix! A/UX 2.0 Desktop PICT

Daniel J. Oberst oberst at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 11 13:46:51 AEST 1990

I was curious about how much "overhead" was incurred running Mac
applictions on top of A/UX 2.0.  I timed a few program launches (nothing
much running the A/UX background other than the standard daemons).
There seemed to be little difference (I've been using A/UX 2.0 as my
standard environment and quite happily getting my day-to-day work done).
This was being done on a IIfx.  Then I tried fliping through the large
(700+ KB)  HyperCard clip art stack--running with Hypercard on A/UX was
actually faster!! (about 72 sec vx. 86 sec.) than on native Mac OS.
Since A/UX can take advantage of some of the specialized ASIC chips and
DMA for SCSI file access, running MacOS on A/UX can actually be faster!

Dan Oberst