AppleShare/AppleShare PrintServer on A/UX 2.0

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 00:07:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Apr11.220147.24421 at uokmax.uucp> rob at uokmax.uucp (Bolo) writes:
>Here's a strange request:
>Does anyone know if it will be possible to use AppleShare or the AppleShare
>PrintServer under A/UX 2.0? We would like to do disk/printer serving, and
>would prefer to have the machine running under A/UX, so that we can also
>use the Berkeley line printer software to spool from our Unix boxes.

AppleShare Client works, but no-one seems to know of any plans
for AppleShare server support.

>Has anyone tried to compile the cap software without the cap libraries
>(just use the built-in AppleTalk software)?
>aufs and lwsrv work pretty well, but we would prefer not to bounce
>everything through a FastPath.

I have 100 students writing up their final year projects using
MS-Word under A/UX 1.1.1, and no LocalTalk in sight.... getting
the CAP lwsrv to run under A/UX is a priority task which I am
currently working on. So far I've spliced in DDP instead of the
KIP stuff, but I need to make a number of changes to the CAP
NBP code (and possibly elsewhere) before it will work.

What I really wanted to do was run EtherTalk on the A/UX
loopback interface, talking to a local lwsrv process which
feeds into the BSD spooler we ported (or the one supplied with
A/UX 2.0, when 2.0 ships). The "AppleTalk for A?UX" stuff
doesn't support this on the loopback interface, so it will have
to be done with the real Ethernet. If I get it working OK, next
trick is to use Apple Single format instead of the present AUFS
scheme for storing files.

The main snag as far as I am concerned is that "AppleTalk for
A.UX" is AppleTalk Phase 2 and so won't talk to our existing
gateways.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)