Help with SysQuest drive.

Andy Peterman andyp at treehouse.UUCP
Fri Aug 10 16:15:36 AEST 1990

In article <g^]/e2.&92 at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>- When you start A/UX, there must be a driver for the cartridge. The driver
>should be loaded by an INIT, because if it's read from an inserted cartridge
>(or if you have a cartridge mounted when starting A/UX) the drive is locked
>and you'll be unable to swap cartridges.
>
>- Under A/UX, when you start the MacOS system, the cartridge will be there
>
>- How do I re-mount a cartridge (or mount another one) without restarting the
>MacOS environment? This is a major pain! The Finder recognizes floppy disks

I'm using an APS Syquest drive with no problems.  I think the reason it
works is by accident.  The main drive I'm using for A/UX was partitioned
with Silverlining, as was the Syquest cartridge I'm using (with two A/UX
partitions).  I think that since the Silverlining driver has already
been loaded in memory when the A/UX drive booted (with MacPartiton),
then the cartridge doesn't need to boot to use this driver (I'm guessing!!).
I can simply install the cartridge, let it come up to speed, and do
a mount on one or both of the slices I'm using.  Unmounting the cartridge
doesn't remove the driver since it's still being used the other HD.

	Andy Peterman
	treehouse!andyp at gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com