NASTY ksh bug in A/UX 2.0

Chad The-Walrus Netzer chad at cup.portal.com
Fri Aug 10 04:39:51 AEST 1990

	Look like I have found a very annoying bug in the Korn Shell in
A/UX 2.0.  It is this:

	If you bring up the session as a Console Emulator (ie. bringing
up the shell all by itself without any of the MacOs available, like
in the older versions), then setting the shell to use either "emacs" or
"gmacs" mode causes the shell to lock up.  Also, setting the EDITOR
environment vaiable does the same thing.  So I can't use the emacs
editing features, unless I go ahead and run the shell under the MacOs
(which is more or less the standard way of doing thins, as the machine
comes configured).
	Also, if the shell "locks up" like this, and you have 'ignoreeof'
set (as it is in the default .profle script), you have to REBOOT THE MACHINE
to fix it, you can't just do ^c's and ^d's...  AAAAAAARRGGGGGHH!!!!!!!
	Needless to say, I am VERY angry to find this bug (which really\
should have been caught before release...  Poor beta testing, it seems),
and I want to know if their is a work around so that I can use emacs
mode of the Korn Shell in the Console Emulator.  And DON'T say "simple,
just run it under the A/UX Finder."  That is NOT acceptable.  I don't
want or need the Finder running above, below, beside, or anywhere near
my Unix environment.  I want to run UNIX, and only Unix.  The last thing
I need is to waste all my memory with Finder in the Background, or to
accidentally select "Shutdown" or "Restart" from the Special menu, instead
of "Logout" and having the rug pulled out from under Unix when I never
intended to.
	Finally, is there a way (other than the net) to inform Apple of bugs
in A/UX 2.0 (I have found several) without aving to pay money t do so?  If
not, then I mght as well move to a more reliable system with better support.

Chad Netzer
chad at cup.portal.com

PS.  Yes, this is a solicitation for help from Apple (or anybody) and not just
a flame or bug report.  I want and NEED this to be fixed!  Thanks for any help
you can offer.