behavior of "df" and SVVS compliance

John Michael Sovereign jms at apple.com
Wed Aug 8 02:54:52 AEST 1990

In <32529 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> and now one of my A/UX
> ======================
> ksh 1/260> df
> /         /dev/dsk/c0d0s0         27252 blocks    9704 i-nodes
> /users/accent/dev/dsk/c4d0s0        150852 blocks   23608 i-nodes
> ksh 1/260> diskfree
> /dev/dsk/c0d0s0 MBytes free = 13.95302
> 150852 MBytes free = syntax error on line 1, teletype
> diskfree[5]: shift: bad number
> ksh 1/260>
>
> WHY isn't there white-space between "/users/accent" and "/dev/dsk/c4d0s0"?
>
> Sheesh.
>
> BTW, my A/UX 2.0 stuff arrived today; not bad, one week from date of order.

The bug in df you describe above is fixed in 2.0 (Thanks, Vicki!).

> Conspicuous by its absence is a reply to my question last week whether A/UX
> has passed any version of SVVS (System V Validation Suite).
>
> In light of how "simple" programs I've just ported over break, it would seem
> to me that A/UX has NOT passed any SVVS.

Ever since Release 1.0, A/UX has passed SVVS Release 2.0 (equivalent to
System V Release 2 and SVID Issue 2, Volumes 1 and 2).  Unfortunately, SVVS
does not test any utilities (even though these are in the SVID), it only
tests the system calls and library routines that constitute the C language
programming interface.  Even if SVVS did test these utilities, IMHO, it would
not have caught the problem you encountered, since its testing philosophy is
not oriented towards boundary conditions.

John Sovereign
jms at apple.com

#include <std/disclaimer.h>