Is it possible to login to A/UX over AppleTalk (LocalTalk)?

Herb Weiner herbw at midas.WR.TEK.COM
Tue Aug 21 06:20:53 AEST 1990

We have multiple Macs on an AppleTalk (LocalTalk) network, connected to the
rest of the world through a Kinetics Fastpath Ethernet gateway.  Using the
standard Mac OS, we can use NCSA Telnet to telnet or ftp to any of the
machines on the Ethernet.  I just installed A/UX on my machine.  Is it
possible to configure things so that other Macs on the AppleTalk can
telnet or ftp to A/UX using NCSA Telnet?  Is it possible to configure
things so that machines on the Ethernet can ftp or telnet to A/UX?
Is it possible to configure things so that I can rlogin, ftp, and telnet
from A/UX to the rest of the world?  From reading the manuals, it appears
that none of this is supported, so I figured I'd ask the net.

Assuming that this is NOT supported, what would I need to do if I wanted
to add this support myself?  It must be possible, since NCSA Telnet seems
to be able to use the AppleTalk.  Would it be difficult?  Any theories as
to why Apple chose not to support this?  Would this be useful to any other
sites?

Thanks for any assistance.

Herb Weiner
herbw at midas.WR.TEK.COM